Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Teenage Pregnancy.

On my way to work I had my next blog post - I should have known to write it down or text it to myself so I wouldn't forget it.  And it's not because I am one year older today that I forgot it. I forgot it because my mind is in 1 million directions.  That's my story and I am stickin to it!

Well, it isn't coming back to me so I am going to write about something else (duh!)

Teenage Pregnancy.

I get a lot of flack for my opinions on this topic.  The reality is...it happens all the time.  The teenagers come from all walks of life.

When I was in high school there were a few girls that were pregnant and like any other person I was shocked at first but again, it happens.  In fact, one of my best friends was pregnant in high school and she did not drop out like some of the others did.  She graduated right along with the rest of the class.

My oldest told me on a trip back from Walmart one evening about 5 years ago that her best friend was pregnant.  She was mad about it...told me how she was ruining her life, etc.  I stopped her in her tracks and told her it didn't have to be that way.  She should support her friend and see that she stays in school and continues with her goals.  A baby doesn't mean the end of the world!  My daughter got the hint.  Then I brought on the safe sex talk with her LOL.

Her friend did indeed graduate with Jennifer's class and is now happily married with another child and doing very well.  Several others in their class had gotten pregnant too.  And where I work I see it all the time.  They come in and act like that baby is stopping them from moving on.  I have a good talk with them and most of them see that it isn't.  Quite a few don't have the support from their parents and that is so sad to see.

My youngest has a friend that had a baby a year ago..same thing she didn't quit school. She was moving and the school she was going to go to wouldn't accept her credits so I told her to get her GED - she blew that sucker out of the water and now is finishing her first quarter in college.  Her family supports her as we do.

Granted they didn't have sense to not do what they did but they did it and our jobs as parents is to support our children.  Keep them from making bad choices and if they do, help them make better ones in the future.  I hate to hear parents act like their children did this on purpose to ruin their lives (meaning the parents) - um hello...you didn't birth that baby this time sister.  You can only ruin your life if you let things ruin it...in other words..stop acting like the world revolves around you and deal with it.

I know that if my girls were to tell me they were pregnant, I would be upset, hurt, disappointed and yes mad BUT after all of that, I would sit down and figure out where to go from this point.  I would be there for them all the way.  When you have children, you have to have unconditional love for them. I know I may put on my rose colored glasses from time to time but come on....if you have a support system you can do anything.

I also know some teens get pregnant on purpose, well my words of wisdom for them is...you wanted that seed planted now you have to nurture that bloom for 18 years.  Make wise choices.

The shows on MTV about teens and babies...take them off the air. I know they show some of the tough times teens have but they also pump it up and make it look easy too.

My main point here is...having a baby as a teen isn't the end of the world and they can succeed just fine in life and have a wonderful bundle to be proud of too. You have to have a support system and a plan...you can't just expect to live off your parents or welfare either.  HOWEVER, the better main point would be Slap that boy away and tell him NO.  But we all know that isn't always the way...

Well that is it for tonight...I think I am all over the map with this post but ya'll wanted me to post with a buzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment